Topic-icon Slight problem...

• GreyhawkGrognard
  • GreyhawkGrognard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Page
  • Page
More
1 year 7 months ago #452 by GreyhawkGrognard
Slight problem... was created by GreyhawkGrognard
I submitted three events, and they were accepted, but I had originally scheduled them for four hours, but now they seem to have grown into six hour events.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #454 by ScketreWhisp
Replied by ScketreWhisp on topic Slight problem...
Not a problem, it's how I schedule them

Since we technically only have 2 times slots ie: 0800-1800 and 1800-2400+ I change them to fit the time.

You requested noon... if I put a game in from 1200-1600 then there is a 2 hour unusable window from 1600-1800 that no one can run a game in. So I set you games to 6 hours so you have the space from 1200-1800... you can quit early, to play longer or stop for more smoke breaks, order pizza and eat... etc etc..

The Evening game session start at 1800 ...

• GreyhawkGrognard
  • GreyhawkGrognard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Page
  • Page
More
1 year 7 months ago #456 by GreyhawkGrognard
Replied by GreyhawkGrognard on topic Slight problem...
Ah. I was basing my decision on the grid from last year's convention, which was significantly more... chaotic... than you seem to be doing this year.

I'll muddle through somehow. Although if 6 hour blocks are the norm, you might want to consider rejiggering the submission form, which seems to imply that GMs have control over the scheduled length of the game.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #458 by ScketreWhisp
Replied by ScketreWhisp on topic Slight problem...
Last year and/or previous years were never "chaotic"... they've always been 0800-1800 and 1800-2400, that's why the sessions were titled: Thursday Evening, Friday Morning, Friday Evening etc etc...

Problem is, many DM/GMs are so use to 4 hour slots that so many other Cons FORCE on them and they think they need to do a 4 hour slot here as well.

So if someone puts in a game from 0800-1200, I can go with that since I can put one from 1200-1800 and it's still enough time to play a decent game (for me, an RPG can't be very fun under 4 hours) ... and sometimes I split the day and put up 2ea 5 hour sessions from 0800-1300 / 1300-1800.

Sometimes I get a DM that really wants it to only show 4 hours so 1800-2200 and I put it on the list like that, but really no one can use the 2200-2400 left over, so I may stop doing that.

For the most part, DM/GMs that are use to 4 hours, end up using the entire 6 hours since they are not rushed and it allows them to finish out games that usually get cut short, or they can slow the event down, take breaks etc etc.

As for the site, it asks in the setup what the minimum slot is, which I had to set as 30 min, since I do have a couple of events that stop on the 1/2 hour mark ... and then of course it allows someone submitting a form to choose any time slot to start with... I can't change that so it'll be a constant reminder that we basically have 2 time slots per day, though more than 2 game sessions might run at the same table since some DM/GMs like to cram their games into 3-4 hours.

I just want everyone to know, it's not about quantity, it's about quality and please don't feel rushed... book the whole slot from 0800-1800, tell your gamers to drop by the table between 0800 & 0900 to sort game/character details.. drink some coffee, eat something.. then kick off the game at 0930, play until 1230, stop for lunch, come back to the table at 1400 play until 1730 to have time to get something to eat before the next 1800 session starts ... relax
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by ScketreWhisp.

More
1 year 7 months ago #464 by Badbob20
Replied by Badbob20 on topic Slight problem...
This is beginning to sound like a hippie love-in.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds